Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

I Heart My Washi: A Washi Pattern Review

So, I am sure that you have seen a number of different versions of the Washi Dress at this point, I know I am a bit late to the game, but I figured I would write a little bit about my experience with it.
First off, I have been wanting to try this pattern forever!  I finally bought it a few months ago and then made it right after Christmas.  It did not take much time and I really liked the construction of the dress.  I did not make any modifications to the size small, I just cut and sewed it as is.  The one modification I did make was that I did not do facing as the pattern called for, I used Rae's tutorial for lining the bodice.  I just don't like how you can see the outline of facing under certain fabric.  I am glad I did do the lining instead of the facing and I really do not think it was any more work than the facing. 
When I am looking at pattern reviews or pictures of other peoples versions, I really like to see when someone is actually wearing the piece of clothing.  I feel it helps me to get a better idea of what it will look like on me.  So, I will include some photos of me in the dress but go easy on me.  Plus, my photographer did not want to get off of the couch, so the camera angle in not ideal.  Perhaps I will add some new photos when it is not freezing outside to get some better shots!


 







The Rundown

Overall:  I would highly recommend the pattern, from beginners to advance sewers.  I think the construction is nice, and it goes together easily.  The dress or top can be dressed up or down and is a forgiving and comfortable fit.  You can also make a number of modification to the pattern with the many tutorials that Rae has on her site as well as the Washi Expansion Pack that she recently released.

Available Formats:  PDF and Paper

A Second Washi:  Yes, I will definitely be making another.  Most likely a tunic version first.

What I Would Modify On The Second Round:  I will most likely mess with the darts a bit again.  On this particular version, I was pretty impatient and just wanted to get it done....mostly because I was supposed to be doing something else!  Anyway, after looking at the photos I realized I need to make the darts shorter, meaning they need to end more on the side of my boob instead of toward the top (makes it a little pointy).

What I Was Glad I Did:  Lining the bodice using a very light weight, 100% cotton muslin instead of using facing.

What My Favorite Aspect Was:  The smocking on the back.  Not sure why, but I love it!  Oh, and I also love the cap sleeves and of course, the pockets.

Fabric I Used:  Rose Garden in Coral from the Fort Firefly Collection by Teagan White for Birch Fabric, 100% organic cotton, quilting weight woven fabric

Check out other peoples versions at the Washi Dress Flickr Pool and Rae Made Me Do It Flickr Pool

And if I left anything out, messed anything up, or if you have any suggestions please let me know!  Thanks so much for checking it out.

This post has been linked up with Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and Show Off Saturday at Sew Can She.

17 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this dress pattern too - but still haven't taken the plunge. I love your version and your idea of simply lining the bodice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The dress is definitely worth the time and doing the lining is easy. Rae has video tutorials on her website for it.....super helpful.

      Delete
  2. love this and it's on my list too although I'm busty so that's why I've been putting it off. My photographer rarely moves from the sitting position too and the last one he took had his knee and newspaper in half of the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that is hilarious! As for the dress, you might already know this but there are adjustment for full busts in the instructions. I should have made a muslin to fit the bodice properly. It turned out okay, but it isn't perfect. You should totally try the pattern when you have time! Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Looks great on you, I am going to look into this pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should totally try this pattern. If is so comfy and easy to make. Thanks so much again for the super nice comment and for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. It looks great and I know you will get a lot of use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Cute Washi dress...adorable fit on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of lining the bodice. Sweet dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a nice comment! And I am so glad I did line the bodice it looks so neat. Thanks again for stopping by and I hope all is well.

      Delete
  7. LOVE! I really really like that fort firefly fabric and think it works great with that dress pattern. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fort Firefly collection is outstanding in my book! Thank you so much for your AWESOME comment and for stopping by. Take care.

      Delete
  8. pramuditahandaristi @ gmail . com

    Wow, great dress! I love the fabric that you use! That looks really great on you, I love the lining.
    I've been wanting to buy the pattern but it is expensive because I want the longer sleeve so that means I have to buy the expansion pack. Well, I guess it's time to start saving my money!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dress! This is what I'm going to be working on for the first time this week!

    ReplyDelete