Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Vintage Quilt: Week Four of Simply Retro Quilt Along

Over at Jana's blog, she is hosting a quilt along for the projects in Camille Roskelley's new book Simply Retro.  I was pretty excited about this for a couple of reasons.  One being that I loved most of the patterns in the book, and this quilt along would gave me an excuse to push all of those projects to the top of my list (and perhaps even win some awesome prizes in the process).  And two, I have never participated in any quilt along, sew along, etc. so this seemed like a great one to start with!  The first project I completed, and on time nonetheless, was the Baby Love quilt wall hanging, which I blogged about last week.  Unfortunately, despite finishing it on time, taking pictures, uploading them onto my computer and all that jazz, I went on vacation and forgot to upload them to the quilt along site by the deadline....which is about par for the course for me.  Anyway, I did, however, buckle down and finish the quilt top for week 4 of the quilt along.


But you guessed it, I missed the deadline by a couple of minutes....ahhhhh!  I ended up emailing Jana and asking if I could still get my project into that week's competition and she was amazing and did it for me.  Thanks again Jana.

As for the Vintage quilt top above, the pattern in the book called for fat quarters, but I could only get my hands on fat eighths in the fabric that I wanted to use.  The fat eighths turned out great because I was able to get half of the pieces for the block from each of two fat eighths that were the same color and very similar in pattern.  I then just alternated them in the block, as you can see in the picture above.  I used 24 fat eighths from the Moda Esprit de Noel fabric collection by French General, and still have nine fat eighths left and plenty of scraps to make some stockings or perhaps even some pillows!

When I get around to finishing up the quilt, I will have to take some better photos.  I was a bit limited in my lighting options at 11:50pm!

Now, back to the quilt along.  I did not win for week 4, but I am working on week 5 right now and I am pretty excited about it.  I broke out my linen fabric again and a Heather Ross fat quarter...awesome, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment