Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Beginning of My Farmer's Wife Quilt...'Bout Time!

I need another project like a hole in the head, however I have been planning this one ever since I saw Camille Roskelley's version over a year ago.  I originally wanted to make one using similar colors and fabric as Camille, but then I recently got my hands on some more Hometown fabric by Sweetwater and decided that it would be perfect! 
So, I want to make a king size version of the farmer's wife quilt which means that I would need 145 blocks, with 34 repeated.  Since I have so many other projects that I need to finish, I  decided I would make 12 block a month so that I should have all that I need by the end of the year.  They are pretty addictive though, which means I have already made 21 so I am doing pretty well so far at staying on track.  These blocks are great because they are small, 6" x 6," and I can cut the pieces while sitting at my three year old's table in the living room with her while she colors/plays.  I have been cutting a few at a time, laying them out on a piece of printer paper and then stacking them.  That way, I can take my stack up and sew them later.  Not really sure why this makes me so happy, but it does!
That was the first set of 12 for January, and below is the first nine of my February bunch.
I was going to include individual pictures of each of the blocks with the corresponding pages in the book, but then realized that would most likely be overkill.  So, I will just include a few below.






I just want to apologize for my photos.  I didn't get any taken when it was light out and my camera is very sick, so they are really bad.  Anyway, thanks for checking them out and I am hoping to stay on track and post at least once a month on the progress.

This post is linked up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a block every other day for a year end finish. But it's a good goal. Hometown is one of my favorite lines, anything Sweetwater is tops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really good and I'm super impressed with your choice of fabric. I have some French General put aside but I don't think it will be as nice as this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is on my wish list! Love the color scheme you are using--it is lovely! :)

    Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking fabulous! I am moving much slower on my farmer's wife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You are off to a great start! You have finished more in two months than I've made in a year! Keep up the great work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristin, I recently published a 12 month online class for the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt. It uses modern cutting and piecing instructions with very few templates. You can read more about it here on my blog if you are interested. http://chezstitches.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-farmers-wife-quiltalong-on-craftsy.html
    I love this quilt...and with permission from Laurie Aaron Hird, i was able to offer this class. It began this January and each month through December a new class will be offered. I have a flickr group started with additional discussions to help everyone on their farming journey! http://www.flickr.com/groups/farmerswifequiltrevivalclass/pool/ Your blocks and fabric choices are great!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete