First off, many apologies for the delay in this blog post! I feel terrible that I have been so behind these past couple of weeks, however, hopefully this will not be an issue again in the future, fingers crossed. And I am sure you guys who entered last month (you are awesome by the way) are wondering about the prize, so I won't keep you waiting any longer on that front. If you haven't already done so, please check out everyone's entries for Section A. They are wonderful and I am hoping to get more people to join in with us as we move along.
Our winner for Section A entries is #4 Stacey!!! Thanks so much for linking up and I will contact you via Instagram or feel free to email me so I can get your prize to you as soon as possible.
Now on to the new stuff....Section B! This section is nice because there are only three block, but as you know the one is monstrous. Since there were only three, I will go through mention a few things about each of them along the way.
Block #1, 36"
So, I made this block first because I have to admit I have been itching to make this giant block ever since I first saw this pattern. And it is definitely awesome, however I had a bit of trouble with mine. Not so much with the construction, but with it not being the correct size. Mine turned out about 1.5" too small...pretty hard to fix that much of a difference. When I was piecing the center pieces (the red and white) they went together fine, things lined up and all seemed well, however when I went to add the blue triangles around it they seemed really large. So, I trimmed then down to have a quarter inch seem allowance on all side, which then of course made the next pieces too large. After all the trimming I realized that wasn't very smart since now my block would not fit in its place! After staring at my block for a very long time, I decided to remake the block. I was not really loving how the block looked with the rest of my blocks either, so this just solidifies my decision to remake the block and change the colors as well. Please let me know if any of you run in to any similar problems. It is however very possible that I cut the center pieces incorrectly, especially since I was doing some middle of the night sewing. Here is what I was thinking for the new colors. A perfect blend of Sweetwater and Bonnie & Camille!
Block #5, 18"
This block was pretty straightforward and appears to have turned out fine. I like this one!
Block #6, 18"
This block was super fast to piece since there were no half square triangles!
And here are the blocks all together (but not sewn yet since I have yet to make my Block1 replacement).
I certainly cannot wait to see everyone's Section B, but let's move on to the fun stuff shall we...this month's prizes! This month the prize will be a Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander Aurifil 10 Small Spool Collection. It includes 10 beautiful colors of 50wt 100% cotton thread for a total of 2,220 yards! Please link up your Section B photos below by 11:55pm on November 30th for a chance at this awesome prize.
Also, please feel free to leave comments on this post for suggestions on futures prizes or any other question or concern you might have. If you are on Instagram, please tag your quilt along photos with #modernbuildingblocksqal and tag me as well please @goobadesigns! Thank so much again and hopefully you will join in on month two of our quilt along.