Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Adorn Quilt: Week Eight of Simply Retro Quilt Along

New week, new project.  I have been wanting to make a small quilt to put on the wall of my sewing room for a while, but was not sure exactly what I wanted to do.  I knew that I wanted to use the purple colorway of Tula Pink's Birds and the Bees fabric as well as hexagons....you know like a honeycomb.  I had the fabric but could not decide on a specific design.  When this week's quilt along project came up I decided to use the center of the star, which made a hexagon, as the focal point and use two different neutral fabrics around the center to create more "background" hexagons.  The result looks very different and I am still not sure how I feel about, since it makes me think of a radioactive symbol! It actually looked a little better before I trimmed the sides, since you could see the entire hexagon.  Oh well, can't undo that!


Anyway, since it did not turn out how I wanted, I decided to make a star, using my "Christmas fabric" scraps from a tree skirt I am (still) making for my sister (sorry Stef) and the Dwell quilt from last week.






Now, as for my "radioactive" wall hanging (pictures below), I am going to keep working on it and hopefully get it where I want it to be....eventually.  I actually already took it apart and put it back together once, because I assembled the triangles in the wrong directions.  Even when I was putting the strips together I wasn't thinking so I have a couple of the same fabrics touching...which I was trying to avoid.  Again, probably isn't a great idea to quilt in the wee hours of the morning, but hey at least I am getting some things done!




Hope you enjoyed the photos and stay tuned to see what comes of the "radioactive" quilt.  Until next time, have fun creating!

4 comments:

  1. Man! I'm in love with the purple and grey combo! ...and you know how I feel about hexagons. I like it....and the fact that it's "radioactive".
    The christmas pillow turned out great too! I love the detail of the stippling (I think that's the term?).

    Amazing job! As usual.

    And no worries on the tree skirt...you still have 3 months to finish.
    No pressure. Jk...sorta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Tula pink block. Fabulous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Christmas star pillow, Kristin! It's gorgeous, especially the quilting. Great job! I appreciated your comment left on my blog today, but because you are a no reply blogger, I wanted to track you down and say thank you. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete