Yes, yes, I know starting a new project is pretty much the last thing I need to be doing right now, but I couldn't resist. My will power when it comes to new sewing patterns, especially Oliver + S/Liesl and Co, is basically non-existent! This week Liesl and Co, the masterminds behind Oliver + S patterns, just came out with four new adult patterns.....awesome (thanks again for the heads up Jessica)! I resisted buying two of the patterns for a little over 24 hours, and then I cracked. I bought the Everyday Skirt and the Weekend Getaway Blouse and Dress patterns. I have big plans for both already, however when I started looking at my stash of apparel fabric, I found a pale peachy wool that I found in the clearance section at Textile Fabrics in Nashville, TN a long while ago (love this place by the way). It was only one yard of 56" wide fabric, but it was so soft (wish you could touch it) and matched a black and peach dot silk fabric I also found in the clearance section. Did I mention it was only $15!
Anyway, I finally made a simple t-shirt like blouse from the silk fabric....also only a yard...so I was a bit limited to what I could make with it. It took some effort, but I made the pattern work with what I had and I am pleased with how it turned out. As for the peach wool, my original plan was a simple pencil skirt, much like the one on the cover of the Weekend Getaway Blouse and Dress pattern (similar to the look I was going for). However, I also realized that the peach wool would look good with my new Datura blouse that I finished a few days ago, but not so much as a pencil skirt. Plus, I never get to dress up fancy anymore, so a pencil skirt probably would not get as much wear. So, the first thing I did was check the yardage requirement for the new Everyday Skirt. I think the pockets are what REALLY sold me...LOVE them!
The pattern called for 1 3/4 yards even for a 58" wide fabric, and I only have one yard....not even close...but when I get something in my head it is really hard to shake, so that is when I bought the pattern, printed it out, taped it up and cut the pieces out to see if it really would not work.....and I think it will!!!!
I will of course need two of the elongated trapezoid piece in the top left, but once I cut the others out I should be able to simply fold the remaining strip in half and get two pieces.....hopefully. I am super excited about this one. I wish I had more of it finished to show you but...you know, life happens. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky and find enough time to get it finish by Friday...I really can't wait!
In addition to this new project that I so ridiculously started with so many in the waiting, I am also still slowly working on my previously posted WIPs. I am hoping that I will have something accomplished by Friday to share with you.
Thanks for stopping by and see you Friday...
This post is linked up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.