The pattern called for quilting weight cotton with every piece interfaced with the suggested Pellon SF-101. I, however, used canvas fabric for the handles and outer fabric. The only canvas that I used interfacing on was the handles, so they would be sturdy. If was difficult to sew over the seams on the doubled up handles, and if I made it again with canvas I probably would not use any interfacing on handles. Other than that, the choice of using canvas (with no interfacing) worked well. Another comment on the interfacing is that if you do use all quilting weight cotton fabric you will be using a lot of interfacing. I feel on of the most time consuming part of making this bag is cutting out all of the pieces (because of all of the interfacing) and then adhering the interfacing to all of the pieces.
Also, the pattern has two options for handle length. I chose the longer of the two options, which you can see above. The longer option allows you to wear the bag on your shoulder, and since it is such a large bag, I felt the longer strap option was essential. Below is a photo of the side of the bag. Each side has a pocket.One of the most difficult, well mostly frustrating aspects of the bag for me was the button loop. Sounds silly I know, but that is the only part of the bag that I really wasn't happy with. At the base of the button loop you are supposed to gather the fabric. I had such a hard time doing this. The instructions were clear and easy to follow with a well labeled diagram, however my difficulty gathering could have been because I was using the heavier weight canvas fabric. I just could not get it to gather well. I think the purpose of gathering it is so that you cannot tell as much that the seam down the middle is not centered. Didn't work so much on mine! In addition to the gathering portion I also had difficulty getting the loop on the way I wanted. This is most likely because I was starting to get frustrated and tired in general, but I am not joking when I say I attached it and then took it back apart 20 times. I think in the end it looks okay, but ahhhh! Love my covered button though.
Just a couple more photos of the button loop as well as a peek at the lining.
In this photo below, you can see the top of the pockets. There are two pockets on each side of the inside of the bag. You basically make one pocket panel and then sew down the middle to create to pocket sections. Easy but a bid difficult to take photos of!
I pulled the pockets out a little so you could see them better.
Then here is the bottom of the outside of the bag. The bottom went on fairly easily but had to finesse one of the four corner....not bad really!
Overall, the pattern was easy and I liked how the bag went together. I generally like Amy Butler patterns, I especially like her diagrams. The bag is a generous size and with the longer handles it works great carried on the shoulder. I would recommend this pattern to a beginner with some reservations, I guess I would say make sure you use the recommended quilting weight cotton fabric. Really it is fairly easy but a bit time consuming. Well worth the time though. I am excited to use my new bag!